In 2011, the Dunedin Youth Orchestra proudly announced a new award for young composers. This is an annual award for an orchestral composition with prize money donated by the former Audrey Reid Charitable Trust. The DYO is pleased to be able to support young composers in our community.
The aim of the Audrey Reid Composition Prize is to foster and encourage orchestral composition for Youth Orchestras by local composers of a similar age. Entrants should be currently resident in Otago or Southland. Winners receive financial compensation and their winning entry performed by the Dunedin Youth Orchestra.
Congratulations to Cameron Monteath our 2021 prize winner! We’re looking forward to playing your composition at our upcoming concert. Many thanks to the judges, mentors, and everyone who submitted.
Previous recipients include:
- Megan Kyte – L’aube du printemps (Dawn of spring)
- Ihlara McIndoe – Creek’s Chorus
- Isaac Shatford – The Thing
- Nathaniel Otley – Canvas
- Sam van Betuw – The Stone Mage and The Sea
- Merlin Callister – A Run in Ross Creek
- Sam van Betuw –The Soprano Sorceress
- Bene Stewart – What If?
- Alex Campbell-Hunt – Canada Suite
- Corwin Newall – Hang In There